Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

hmmm...Mexico

So 2 days ago we left thinking we were going to Hunduras, thinking the wind was perfect, thinking all our technical problems were over, thinking we were set. We set sail in the evening and locked our heading on the full moon. It couldn't have felt more perfect.....Well around 3am as I handed the wheel over to Rob, the wind decided to take a break. No problem we'll just start our now "working" motor and keep on chuggin, right? About a half-hour into me sleeping the engine got a temper and began flooding the cabin with steaming anit-freeze. Well with minimal panic and confusion we found ourselves completely immobile about 9 hours off the coast o Mexico. Anyway the next 30 hours we sweated around the deck and cockpit praying and eying for a speck of moving oxygen. I think the 3 of us all know what its like to be in the desert, but this is like a weird version where you can't go anywhere. Its all up to God. I'll admit though that it was a good time to do some thinking. I started reading The Alchemist too, a perfect follow up for Miller's book.
So it took a while and sortive depressingly were back in Isle Mujeres. No worries though people here are great. Theres all sorts on interesting people to meet here. A crazy awesome 25yr old woman just sailed here from Key West single-handed and im pretty sure without autopilot either.
So its not lookin like my schedule is gonna let me go sailing any further..but i still have a few days to kill. Im thinkin of goin backpacking for a bit across Mexico. I'll go further if I have time, but goin off to some old Mayan ruins sounds pretty cool I guess.

I want to mention that I believe I have learned more in the last two weeks then I could have in a whole year of college. Theres so much to learn from people. Everyone has a story. Some are beautiful, some are heart-wrenching, some are mysterious, and some are completely ridiculous. I think Americans forget to do that. We forget about who is out there and care more about when the next episode of The Office (not bashing, I love The Office) comes on rather than taking the time to go meet someone. Theres some little "wharf-rats" (kids here who grow up on sailboats) who get tutored twice a week maximum. However, they are extremely smart, witty, and know how to have a great conversation. I think it because everyday they get to meet people who sail in from places all over the world. Funny how that works.

Spanish is fun too, its nice to brush up.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a great time - even with the challenges you are having with the boat and the sea. Glad you are gaining a 'world' view as you are meeting others from different cultures. Continuing to pray for you and the rest of your time this summer. John isn't quite himself without you here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. and i know the feeling- i think i learned more eating dinner with african refugees in belgium than i did in all of college.

    also, i did my last extended day EVER today. joy! :)

    ReplyDelete