Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Whistling

Due to my depressingly low income at the present moment and having no choice but to be cheap, I have been riding my bike as much as possible. Note: I am not complaining about this at all. A bicycle is an incredibly humbling and efficient mode of transportation.
      
Today the wind coming across the bridge was insane. It was clearly in a hurry to get somewhere south, perhaps to escape the cold weather or go see friends in San Felipe. Anyway my purpose right now is not to describe the wind or its intentions. What I have sat down to write about was the whistling that the Bridge of Lions was nonchalantly doing today as I rode over it. It was whistling a tune so loud that I almost fell off my bike when it reached my ears. (I did not fall off my bike) The sound went through pitches up and down as different sized gusts powered and weaved through it. I was so surprised by this I slowed my pedaling just so I could listen to it sing for a moment. I am not saying this whistling was in perfect in rhythm or key, but it did sound pretty cool.

I wonder if the bridge builders had slightly intended for their design to create such an effect. My guess is they did not, however its fun to imagine they might have. I can see the builders smirking over their blueprints, leering over the specific placement of metal beams and cement. I hope they did.
The more likely situation is that the event today was purely coincidence and such an effect it not that rare among bridges, but I don't find that to be as much fun to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment