Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

departure



The last week or few days or whatever it was has been good. I left Shibumi and said my goodbyes to Captain Rob and the people of the El Milagro harbor. Georgia and I then took a ferry from Isle Mujeres to the mainland to hopefully find adventure. This began by going to the nearest bus stop, pointing on a map to some random destination that seemed nice, and then buying tickets there hoping we made a good decision. Tulum became our destination. Although it didn't turn out to be the most non-touristy area, I think we chose right.
The next few days involved running about catching collectivos, seeking out some of the ancient Mayan ruins, lying on the beach, meeting random folks/locals, and a bit of cavediving of which has become my new personal fascination.
          I want to take a moment to describe these underwater caves or Ce Notes, although I don't believe my words can hardly illustrate the awesomeness of what they are. I guess the entire Yucatan Peninsula is infiltrated by underground aquafers. Stretching over I think 150klm, the region actually contains the largest system of them on the planet. I thought this was pretty cool. We kinda stumbled into them. We went down into a few of these giant sink holes that allow you to get pretty deep in them. We then got our hands on some snorkal gear and dove in. I wish I had better pictures. I think it was clearer underwater than above. Anyway we spent two days diving into them wishing we could hold our breath longer to go deeper. If you swam way down you could see the divers shining their flashlights way way back around all the stalagatites(mites) in the caverns. Despite not having air tanks, with just snorkal gear one could still swim far enough back to feel completley lost and realize you're about to be eaten by some Mexican cave monster. You would look down and see fifty feet to the bottom and there would be black holes reaching off into some other Ce Note.
          I said goodbye to everyine again yesterday and flew into L.A. last night thinking about everything. I believe I learned a great amount on this trip about myself and about people. I learned nothing ever goes according to plan and I also had my belief reaffirmed that its still best not to have one. I made friends I won't forget and saw God through several new perspectives. I learned I can cook Mexican but can't handle their spices. I learned about new stars and had the phrase inconsistent weather redefined for me. I discovered how to create a good story for myself but also how to be involved with the great story that involves everyone else. I got to re-experience lonliness and and also complete grace. I learned what being stranded in a desert must be like and also how to read a book in one sitting. I was taught about how bad I can stink after a sweaty weak at sea and also how to get used to it. I learned the best shoes are your bare feet. I learned to keep learning as often as possible and that "ridiculousness" is still my favorite word. I leaned that a comfortbale life leads to misery and that believeing in our dreams is what makes life interesting.

I learned a bunch more lessons too, but I'm tired now and need to sleep. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment